Sunday, July 15, 2012

Vanilla - Making your own

You can find many different recipes online so I'll give you a quick note on how I made mine and some few suggestions.

How to make homemade vanilla extract:

1. Cut vanilla beans down the middle but leave a little section still connected. Use 3 beans per cup of vodka. I used a quart jar so I used 12 beans for 4 cups of vodka.


















2. Place in clean jar.

















3. Add vodka.

















4. Close and shake. Shake periodically your first day and then again whenever you think about it.

















5. You can start using your vanilla whenever it smells ready. (Mine were ready in 2 weeks)

Note: I would highly suggest you use good vodka (Grey Goose or something equally good or better). If you use something like borski then you'll end up with something that smells/tastes like store vanilla but that is of much lower quality than you can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment