Sunday, December 6, 2015

Everything is connected

I'm a sucker for the TED radio hour and I find myself listening to it every week. It's one of those things that I look forward to, just like listening to StoryCorp. One of the episodes I listened to seemed to lodge itself in my head. I keep going back and listening to the sections on Rewilding and to Listening to Nature, both seem to speak to my home in what I would like it to turn into. I'm not going to release bison onto my property, frankly because our property is too small but the idea that I can work with nature so that it can help me figure out how to repopulate the vegetative growth that can flourish here as well as listening to what the property needs by being able to listen to the layers of sound coming from the land. So that you can listen for yourself here is the link to the show: Everything is Connected

Two other TED talks that I really enjoyed listening to were by a gentleman named Dan Barber. For you foodies out there you'll know who that is, but for most of us who don't follow the foodie movement his talks were a delight especially since I had no clue who he was.

The first talk is in relation to a fish and the fish farming industry. I loved the farm he visited as I would one day love to have a farm that follows those principles. This talk was titled: How I Fell in Love with a Fish.

The second talk makes me wish I could take a vacation to Spain to visit the foie gras farm he went to and to just sit and talk with the farmer in regards to his seed types/plants/trees and how everything interacts as well as see if he had any documentation on what his parents/grandparents/great grandparents did to improve the soil/land. This second talk is titled: A foie gras parable.

Although there are many, many TED talks that I enjoy listening to these are the ones that I keep coming back to. Something about them makes me want to put my hands back into the soil and remember that my goal is not necessarily for the farm to be profitable in my lifetime but maybe my children/grand children/ great grandchildren will find a way for others to love this land as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment