Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fall

I decided to randomly add an image of Ivan. This was taken while he was helping Jed grind some flour for some baked goodies.

It's finally starting to feel like fall, I was even able to smell some woodsmoke the other morning which made me want to curl up inside and eat some warm soup.

I greatly enjoy Fall because all the other seasons seem so hectic. Winter I'm prepping all the tools, making sure that the animals have adequate coverage, pruning the trees and vines, fertilizing, clearing up the plants, and making sure nothing drowns if there is a lot of flooding. Spring consists of harvesting winter plants, baking, starting projects, working with the baby explosions (baby chicks, ducks, geese, turkeys, lambs, goats, and now calf), starting to process the dairy products, checking on garlics and aliums, and planting new plants. Summer is crazy harvest time as well as food processing time even though all you really want to do in the heat is tell it all to jog on. And when you get to Fall, you just want to relax a bit, maybe sit back and enjoy a warm cup of tea while wondering about what awesomeness you will be playing with next year. I guess you can call this my dreaming time. I get to image the construction of new infrastructure. I greatly look forward to the slaughtering and processing of the last of the nomnom animals. It's just mellow. It's a time to pick up a new book and read. A time to snuggle up in a blanket or make a new blanket. You can work on more indoor projects but also have the sunlight and weather to leisurely go about the garden and plant new things or weed and clear. I look a the last of my summer fruit and veg and invite it into the house to join us for a meal. I'm also looking at the pumpkins and I can imagine what the pies are going to taste like. What the house will smell like with pumpkin seeds roasting. I also get to wonder just how all this will change with Ivan running around the house.

For those of you who have been going full speed the rest of the year - cheers! enjoy some tea and a book and if any of you are in the area and just happen to stop on by, then we can see about making some pies and enjoying them while talking about plants and food. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment