Thursday, March 1, 2012

I must do all my pruning in January

I can't tell for sure since the weather seems to keep telling me to jog on but I think from the last three years of watching the trees that I might want to do all my trimming in January. The trees go dormant sometime during November or December and then the buds start to swell in January. All the short cold hour trees seem to bloom in February so I have to make sure that I do all my spraying or trimming during January to keep from damaging the trees and vines.

This year I was able to trim most of the trees and berries in time. Heck, I was even able to take some 18 new shoots from the boysenberry in the front and transplant the to the back. I also started propagating some grapes to plant along some of the fences to work as live hedges. We'll see if that is really how they will end up or if I end up devising a much more elaborate pathway for the garden area.

But I must remember... prune in January before the bud swells.

No comments:

Post a Comment