Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Summer Garden

Sheesh, I thought I had posted on this before, but I guess I just forgot. The summer garden is in full swing. We started by tilling part of the of the drive area to the back as well as a small are next to the front apple tree. We planted over 22 types of tomatoes (30 tomato plants in total), an eggplant, some tomatillo, a squash, and a cucumber. The tomatoes are already producing some tomatoes but I have to make sure that I watch when Ivan gets near the spigot because he has a tendency to turn on the water full blast (my poor favas have dealt with this) and I need to make sure we don't have too much water on the tomatoes so that the flowers aren't damaged. We're also adding 8 okra and plant out some more Moon and Star watermelon. The corn will be planted soon along with our Amish pumpkins. The garlic is almost fully formed and we keep harvesting garlic scapes to eat. The weather has been too hot so our leafy greens have all turned bitter, we're still working on trying to figure out a way to keep producing leafy greens through the summer. I'll keep you guys posted as we keep adding more items to the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment