Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Expanding the edible forest

We're pretty happy with how the front is looking in regards to using edible landscaping, but we also would like to expand this concept to the back. Earlier this year I planted currants, gooseberries, and some horseradish. Well, the horseradish is valiantly trying to survive as the new chickens (another story) have decided they really like digging up my plants in that area. So far the currants and gooseberries are growing well and we should get some fruit in a few years. We did have a semi-dwarf santa rosa plum I had not planted as I had not found adaquate fencing to keep the geese out, but after the obvious death of the blood orange I decided to take out that root ball and plant the semi-dwarf santa rosa plum in its place. On Sunday Ivan and I picked up some fabulous tomatoes and herbs from Wind Rose Farm (I would highly recommend getting plants from them.) and so we had herbs to add in amongst the fruit bushes and tree. I did graft some mandarin onto the root stock on the side so I'll have to keep watch to see if it does grow. I also have a bucket full of the remaining grapes and another dozen asparagus. I planted the grapes (6) in the back so that they can grow up the fence and the asparagus in the front to help deliniate the planted area vs. the pathway and I it also makes it easier to pick the asparagus when they are so close. We're keeping a close eye on the side area to make sure that it thrives. I'll post picture as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment