Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fall is on the way at the homestead, or so I hear

The official first day of fall has already passed, but you would not know it by our 90+ deg. temps here on the Homestead. Things here are still running hot and dry with little Autumn in site. The beans, corn, squash and watermelon still think is it the height of summer and by all accounts this winter will be a mild and dry one. But there are a few signs that the season is changing;

The other morning while I was at work, I was washing my ambulance before I went off duty and I noticed for the first time this fall that the sun was not quite up yet. And that simple fact threw my mind into the Autumn, threw me back to a pot of stew simmering on the wood burning stove, sweaters in the chill morning as we head out to do the morning chores, back to coats and cold, back to wind and rain, ice and freezing temps.

One of the things that we have come to enjoy here is the change of seasons, by the end of summer Rosie and I are ready for the cold and the wet to start. By the end of last winter I was thinking about sandals and  t-shirts and looking forward to the heat. Since each season brings us such differing trials and tribulations in this life style  we come to welcome the change  to something new. Prior to the homestead the only real change in season I noted was the start of fire season and the hope I could get some extra work in on the fire line, now each of the four seasons beings its own tasks that are unique to that few months of time.

So here is to fall, raise a glass and hope for a rainy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment