Monday, January 14, 2013

Tree pruning and planting

I visited the pruning meeting for the California Rare Fruit Grower's Association of the Central Coast and I think I'm going to join. One of the incentives to join was a Carob seedling and I find it delightfully interesting to add that to our list of products grown on the farm. I doubt that we can use it as a chocolate substitute, but I wish to use it to make carob desserts. We'll see if they have any left next month so that I can join. Their scion exchange takes place next month and I'm planning on attending that meeting. I met a lovely lady who lives in Atascadero who was also visiting that meeting for the first time. We'll see if I can pick up some French Prune scions from her so that I can play with them.

I had an opportunity to prune all of our trees yesterday as it was a nice dry day. I took a lot off the almond in the front as it was showing some signs of borer and I would like to keep damage to a minimum on all our trees. The peach and the apricots were also pruned to allow for top growth. I'm still uncertain on how to trim the front apple tree to help encourage the tree to grow taller. I also wrapped the trees with fencing to see if that will help discourage the geese from eating all my trees. The jerks ate my Franquette walnut tree after Zuzu had knocked of the covering that I had on there to protect it. I hope it can still grow. We'll see as I did not see any actively growing nodes on what was left of the walnut tree.

On Saturday I also made my way to Bay Laurel Nursery and I find it funny that I keep getting the same worker helping me. She's a bit... prickly.. and every time I talk to her I wonder why she's working with the public if she lacks the skills to communicate with someone in an easy fashion. I'm glad she enjoys doing what she does, but it would also be nice to have a person who you enjoy talking to whom you wouldn't mind going back to visit. Honestly, I've only gone twice (once to order and once to pick up my order) and I don't really see a reason to go back if that's the way I'll be treated. They have nice produce, but I think I'll pay extra to have my trees and items shipped from Peaceful Valley if I can feel like a valued costumer. That's just my opinion. But anyways, I stopped by on Saturday to see if I could add to my order and it turned out that the bare root trees were in so I picked up my ordered Muir peach and my Fugu persimmon. I was able to plant those last night although the persimmon turned out a bit more eventful than I would have liked. We have a lot of trees and we're quickly running out of spots to plant them, so I decided to plant the persimmon off to one side. That spot seemed to have 2 1/2 ft of pure rock which I had to dig through. I kept sending up sparks and breaking rocks in half. The shards would jump up and hit my face and I was glad that I was wearing my glasses as they ended up getting scratched from one of the rocks. I would hate to think of what my eye would have looked like if I was wearing my contacts.

I have one almond and the small bushes left to plant. I hope they are all right and that they grow well for us. I look forward to another year of awesome fruit growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment