Monday, February 22, 2010

Houdini Chickens


Tripoli has been sneaking into the house again. She's figured out how to use the cat door with the flap, and she'll probably teach the other chickens how to do it. Yesterday morning I walked out to open up the coop and then walked over to let the goats out... well I did see Tripoli running in front of me when I went to open up the goat pen, but I figured she must have run off with the rest of the chickens to scratch the compost pile. When I came inside I took off my boots and was putting on my normal shoes and realized that Jed's clothing drawer was making a weird sound. Tripoli was snuggled in Jed's black clothing and thus camouflaged. Now, I know for a fact that Jed's clothing does not make ANY noise no matter what I do to it. I walked over to the dresser, pick up Tripoli and set her outside.

Apparently, Jed found Tripoli asleep on the headboard to our bed today. As I cannot think of any way to keep the chickens out while letting the cats in, we'll most likely have to put up with shooing Tripoli out of the house most mornings. (I was contemplating putting something sticky to the flap door but it's bad enough trying to cut out all of Calvin's dreadlocks without adding something sticky to it.)

We also have one of the Rainbows magically ending up into the goat house. I took a picture of her on top of the goat house yesterday.. then I blinked and she was suddenly inside the goat house while the door was closed. I'm not really sure how she does it. I assumed that she squeezed in through a hole in the roof, but she was on the opposite side of the roof and suddenly, vamoose! she's inside. As we plan on eating her, I'm hoping this trait does not pass on to any baby chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment