Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'd rather be gardening

Work has been stressful lately and I keep finding myself wishing I was at home gardening. I was able to finish cleaning up the bed closest to the bedroom and planted the following this morning before I left to work: Lima beans, 2 types of peas, turnips, 2 types of red radishes, daikon radish, and red leafed lettuce. Due to ... circumstances I ended up having to work overtime today and was not able to finish preparing the southernmost bed on that line. Right now we have two planted (this includes the one I did today). The brassicas are growing well, but I would like to move some of the seedlings to another bed so that we can allow most of them to live out their intended purpose. If I can keep the chickens and goats from getting into my beds then they might just provide enough to feed us for a while. It looks like a lot of the cabbages sprouted so we'll probably end up making a large amount of kim chi. I look forward to being able to prepare and plant the rest of the beds. Oh, rototillers do not really work on our soil... tried and failed miserably.

My old bed is still growing, the brocolli will be picked soon, but I think we might just be able to make one bowl of stir-fry with them as the heads are not that big. The brussel sprouts are growing, as well as the red and green cabbages. Onions are doing well and I look forward to being able to pick those.

No comments:

Post a Comment