Sunday, March 7, 2010

Big Goat

Milking has gotten a lot better. She's been jumping into the old broody boxes for the chickens and is standing there so that I can milk her. We ended up skipping last night because we got in about midnight and were both totally exhausted... This morning I didn't have to grab her horns or anything, I just walked over to her while she was on the boxes and I just leaned against her and started milking while I talked to her and let her know that we were very thankful for the milk she provided. She took it well and I think prefers being pet while being milked. Today we got 2 cups in the morning. Her quantity keeps increasing. She started with the big amount, then gave 1/4 cup for 3 milkings, up to 1/2 cup, 1 cup, 1 and 1/2 cup. All in all, I think she will do well. Her double nipple is something to be concerned about because I would not want to pass on to any of her babies, but if her temperament keeps improving, I think we might want to see about keeping her for long time use. Sharon helped me milk her on Friday and we ended up with a cup and a half. I poured it into little cups for us to try the milk and everyone liked it. Mikael ended up taking a canning jar full of goat milk home. I think I look forward to filling up the 1/2 gallon glass container I have (if I can keep from drinking too much of the milk) so that we can make cheese. I've also been leaving the milk in a measuring cup in the fridge to cool down. Before I pour the milk into the glass container I take off all the cream to see if we can save up enough to make butter. We'll see how long it will take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment