Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Breakfast Sausages - Piggy fulfills her contract

After slaughtering the piggy I saved the small intestines and rinsed them out and left them in salt water in the fridge. Last night I rinsed them out a bit more and decided to make some breakfast sausages.

Recipe:

2 lbs of pork (I used stew meat) frozen
1/2 cup pork fat (bacon grease)
fresh thyme
fresh sage
small Rosie handful of salt
ground white peppercorn
sprinkle of ground cloves
sprinkle of red pepper

Grind pork in fine ground setting (we actually used the bread crumb setting in our hand crack grinder since it was available and Jed had used it for Happy Circle and Dots). Mix all other ingredients with pork... watch out, your hands will freeze. Then I rinsed out some of the casing some more to take off all salt and any mucus that might still linger. Since I don't have a stuffer I just took the top part of my turkey baster off and used the tube to stuff the casing. I pushed the casing onto the turkey baster tube and when I reached the end I tied a knot. I then started stuffing the mixture into the casing. Jed helped by poking the casing once in a while (at every link) with a needle to let air escape and to completely fill in the sausage. I twisted the link about every 3 inches. The recipe originally said 4 ft of casing, but it turned out being over 8 ft and I still have a bit left over. I was kind of done making sausage after a while. Recipe also says to put it in the fridge for a few hours to over night. To use w/i three days or to freeze and use w/i 3 months. I cooked some this morning and it was a success. Jed and I really liked the flavor and the sausages cooked down a bit smaller. The juices ran clear and the whole house smelled great.

We still have casings left over so I was going to see about either making some beef and potato sausages or make some chitterlings for Jed so that he can try them out. We'll keep you guys posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment