Sunday, April 24, 2011

And then there are some days...

that remind me that I don't know how to shoot but I'm pretty sure that I'd be good at it after killing all the animals... except the sheep.

I did have a nice relaxing morning. I was able to sleep in and enjoy eating pancakes with strawberry jam. I was able to water the berries and the trees and enjoyed watching Al, the gander take a bath in a bucket of water. I even laughed when he tried to attack a bucket because he confused it for a chicken trying to get to his water.

What changed the day was sitting down and watching Ramses hit Lucy over and over for the fun of it. I went outside to keep him from hurting her any more (anyone interested in another slaughter day?) and to fill up their water when I heard oinking behind me. Digger had convinced Oreo to lift up the corner of the fence and then we had three free range piggies... again. I had to finish giving the goats water and watering the walnut so that I could go fix the pig enclosure.

After fixing the section that they had lifted and reinforcing it I tried to open up another panel just to have the nut get stuck and I had to reinforce that section too. Stanko was running around trying to mate with the chickens and kicked up the box with all the clamps and they were sent sailing into the grass. I had to find them in order to continue with the fence. After that was done I finally found a corner that I could open up. By this time the pigs had finished eating most of the chicken food they had knocked over, had finished eating random things around the backyard, and were inspecting the horse gate to get to the front yard. I forgot to mention that since they had knocked over the chicken food all the bird ran over to eat and were in the process of having a fight with the pigs over the food. The geese were attacking their ears while the pigs kept pushing the chickens and ducks out of the way. All in all they were just making a ton of noise. With the open pig fence and armed with a box of apples I went to catch the piggies. They completely ignored me so I started just throwing apples at them to get their attention. After leading them back into the pen with small portions of apples I placed the box down and let them eat the remaining 20lbs of apples. I was able to close up the clamps on the fence right as they were finishing eating the apples. They walked around testing the fence and I kept pace to make sure that they couldn't get out and to see where the fence needed to be reinforced.

At the moment they are still in, but as a pregnant lady... I could do without all the drama.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry... all the drama goes away when you have kids.

    ReplyDelete