Monday, December 10, 2012

The Lunch Hour - Coconut chocolates

I've recently acquired a job, which you can probably surmise from the lack of posts. One thing I discovered is that you can bake almost anything in one of those little toaster ovens. Not to mention all the things you can do with an hour of your time and the right ingredients. And as such I'm starting a new series: The Lunch Hour - in which I'll post all the recipes from things I've made at work in the office. If you only have a half hour, just prepare some of the batches at home and bake at work. You'll find it amazing.

For the first installment I'll add what I made at work today, which coincidentally does not include baking at all. To gear up for the holidays I thought I'd create a few chocolates for Jed. Today's choice: Chocolate covered coconut balls (like the chocolate bars called Mounds)

Ingredients:

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter - softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup confectioner's sugar
3 cups sweetened coconut
1 bag semi-sweet chocolates (Ghirardelli's)

In a large bowl mix the butter, vanilla, sugar, and coconut. Roll out little balls onto parchment paper. Once all the balls are done let cool in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Melt your chocolate in a bowl (it took about 1 1/2 min for about 1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips - the chips don't look melted but they will once you start stirring with a fork). Drop the balls in and place them back on the parchment paper. I ended up with close to 50 chocolates from this recipe. Place back into the fridge for 5 minutes to help the chocolate harden.

Try experimenting with coconut types and with chocolate types. I made the batter and balls, then ate my lunch, melted the chocolate and dipped them , and finished off by washing my dishes while the chocolates cooled. And just like that you can make your co-workers hate you for making their run time obsolete. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment