Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Honey harvesting

As many frames were already crystalized we went ahead and just cut out the frames and Jed eats them fromt he fridge as medieval candy. I sometimes find him chewing furiuosly to keep me from seeing that he's eating more of the honey and comb. =)
We did have a few frames with liquid honey in it, but not enough to get a significant amount of liquid honey. =( Those we placed on a plate and we've been using the honey as we go along. The new honey extractor worked really well, but the cleaning process is interesting. Also, I would not recommend using it if the frames have been knocked into the ground and covered in mud... then you just get muddy honey and that's just wrong.
I placed the drawn out comb in the freezer and will save the frames for future bees. I should be able to get some more in April and I'm looking forward to seeing the girls out and about.


No comments:

Post a Comment