Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Neighbor frustrations

We research killing our animals very thoroughly, we take the time to see what is the fastest and safest way to slaughter them so that they won't suffer. Whenever we slaughter larger animals we always shoot in the head (to kill instantly) and then we slit the throat to have them bleed out faster. We make sure that they go swiftly. That is part of what we owe the animals.

On Sunday, Ginger called me over, not 3 minutes after Jed had fired the shot and started telling me that we needed to find a more humane way to slaughter our animals because she saw that pig thrashing for 15 minutes after we shot it. That she's around death all the time and she knows what suffering is. That it wasn't funny and that we needed to do something about it and then she just walked away.

Firstly, we put up boards so that the other pigs could not see, so where the heck was she that she could see Macaroon all the way from her porch. Second, 15 minutes had not passed. Third we make sure that they go quickly. Fourth, all animals twitch after death and this especially is true for pigs who are known to thrash after death. Fifth, wtf?

I was very, very frustrated and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I was very insulted and wanted to know why she was offering this input if she has absolutely no knowledge of what we are doing. I was up contemplating saving up just to put up a tall fence on her side of the property just so that she wouldn't have to "deal" with us any more. The feedback I received from people is that she would only want to spy on us some more because we sould obviously have something to hide from her if we put up a fence. I'm not sure how to deal with it, but I'm just so frustrated with being insulted by her. I'm probably going to take one of my friend's advise and if she tries to talk to me I'm just going to let her know that I do not feel comfortable talking to her and I would rather go back to a "neighborly" relationship where we just wave and say hi but do not have anything to do with talking to each other. =\ I'm still miffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment