Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Macaroon, Macaroon, Maca-macaaarooon


You know how Jed says that I have mad scrounging skills? Well, not too long ago I picked up another 5 gallon glass carboy on craigslist and other beer making supplies and also.... I found some livestock. =)

I saw a post for rescue piggies and sheep. I responded thinking that these would be totally awesome for manure. I was contacted a few days later by the poster who said that she would pass on the information to the rescue shelter. A few weeks after that I got a call from the lady in charge of the piggies and sheepies and let me know that the sheep and a piggy was available. I had previously been told that they might have found a home for the sheepies as well so I didn't actually know what we would end up with. I spent a week making homes for all of them and then called back to let them know that I was ready. I was going to drive half-way to pick them up and then put them in the back of the van. (You can hear Jed cringing at this part.) Well, they ended up calling me back and said that they would just drive them down and as the animals had been with them for so long they were going to waive the adopion fee. Score!!

So last week we ended up having two hair sheep (still need to find out what types they are) a female pot belly pig and a castrated hampshire pig. They arrived a little irritated and nervous but the sheep started eating as soon as we got them in with the goats and the piggies calmed down with food and water. So now we have those additions to our farm/ranch. The sheep are called Lavern and Sherlie (one's light colored and the other is dark colored), the potbelly is named Macaroon and the hamp is called Oreo. =) The piggies love watermelon and are very friendly. We're still working on the sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment