Monday, February 21, 2011

Bee Catastrophe

It had been raining on and off all of Thursday and when I got home I decided to go check on the animals and see if I can set up some shelters for them. I put some boards for the piggies and set some up for the goats. When I walked over to the bee enclosure I saw that the goats had been playing in there and had unfortunately knocked over all the hives. The supports were still standing so they had just knocked them over. =( There were no bees to be found.

With Aaron's help we were able to bring in all the boxes and I started to ectract the honey that I could and the honey that had already crystalized I just cut up into blocks and put them in the freezer. I'll go ahead and put the rest of the good frames in the freezer to save them for any future bees. I still have boxes all over the living room, but hopefully I'll be able to sort out tonight. Not a good ending to my bee year, but we'll know more for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment