Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When blacksmiths get hungry






So I have been trying to work threw my backlog of blacksmithing commissions, and there are a LOT of them. Frankly I am over my head with work. This is the reason I don't take anything up front for my work, I don't want that kinda pressure when I am working. So any way I was working up a storm one day and was getting pretty hungry, which is really saying something as I often forget to eat when I am working (Once I forgot to eat more than a bowl of rice in two days, figured it out when I was getting dizzy and feeling like I would pass-out) so rather than do the smart thing and take a break and have a snack I figured I could combine food with forging. I used what I call my "battle fork", (a high carbon steel fork) to roast some linguica sausages over a lovely 2300-3000 deg. flame. Now normally 2300 deg. is not what you would call a cooking temp. but if you keep a sharp eye out and keep everything moving it comes out pretty darn good. In the future I want to see about getting a coffee pot attachment for my forge and perhaps a small grilling plate.......

3 comments:

  1. Watch out with the attachments - the food could wind up being nearly instant gratification! 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a sick sick man - i knew i loved you for a reason. and oh yeah - that's a new part of the blacksmiths' challenge - cooking while you work. It should inspire the 'real' cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- and Rebecca is still looking forward to helping with the next animal alaughtering. We should be back Saturday after my personal trauma of going to Dland to see the rat with both my daughter and mother in tow. Drink for me@

    ReplyDelete