Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The functionality of Tom


So we have this gorgeous Royal Palm tom which Jed cunningly named... Tom. We felt sorry for him because the turkey hens would either beat him up or just ignore him, but he grew on us. The turkeys finally allowed him to sit where they sat and just lately we've seen him trying to mount one of the hens. Unfortunately his idea of mounting consists of standing on top of the hen and not doing anything practical with his male parts. The other day we saw him doing a mating dance... to the bread oven, while the hens just walked away from him. The seemed to be a little embarrassed by him and gave us this look of - Don't mind him, he'll be back to normal in no time. That in itself would have been all right, we can live with poor genetic material as all we want is the personality and intelligence of the hens.. but we need the male in order to get it. Well, lately Tom has decided that he needs to attack children and myself. He tried rushing at Jed the other day just to get smacked on the head hard enough to turn him all the way around. Tom's gotten into the habit of trying to attack me, I can only assume that it is because his hens hang out with me and eat out of my hand, but that doesn't seem to be working out well for him. He keeps on getting beat down and then he cries to the other turkeys because I must be killing him. The other turkeys have to rush over to try to protect him with this disgusted look on their faces and just wait until he decides that he doesn't really want to attack me. I would love to have baby turkeys (aka: Thanksgiving turkeys) but I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with this antics. We'll see how it goes, but as soon as we have baby turkeys... he's on the list with Ramses and Macaroon... and all the roosters.

No comments:

Post a Comment