Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Homesteading with a baby


I have a baby asleep in my arms as I type this. To tell the truth, homesteading is hard to begin with and it gets a whole lot harder when you add a baby. There are things that need to get done even if it's just me alone with Ivan. The animals still need to be fed and watered, the trees and plants still need to be irrigated, eggs need to be picked up, pregnant animals still need to be checked on, as well as normal chores like cooking and cleaning. There are also many projects that are in the works. Luckily, I've just started carrying the little guy in a hiking backpack baby carrier that frees up both my hands. Before I would have to do everything with one arm and have Ivan in the other. It was difficult, but things still need to get done.
And to add to all this...it's supposed to freeze tonight. What does this mean? It means I can now plant all the garlic and onions, it means I have to worry about water freezing the pipes or the animals no being warm enough, it means I have to have a fire going in the wood burning stove, I need to go out tonight while Ivan is asleep to cover the citrus, and to figure out a way to do all this and more while taking care of Ivan and making sure he is warm and protected.
I love my little guy, more than life itself, especially when he periodically cracks up in his sleep while I type, but he does seem to add a whole new level of complexity to trying to be self sufficient. I don't know how women of the past managed, but they have my admiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment