Saturday, October 29, 2011

Planting garlic


We were able to plant one bed of garlic today. After planting the first bed I realized that I don't have nearly as much space as I need to plant the 8lbs of garlic. We picked up some Spanish Roja, an early California softneck, a purple, and some misc garlic left over from last year. If we do manage to get the optimum return on our garlic we should end up with something like 80lbs of garlic next year. If we're very lucky we might have it ready to pick next summer and be able to save up 10lbs for a harvest of 100lbs the following year. And bringing it back to the present, I was able to plant one bed and then I had to go in because Ivan was hungry. I was able to go back outside a little while later and a good thing I did because the chickens had already unearthed a couple of my cloves of garlic. I covered the whole bed with a couple inches of straw, watered the bed, and then covered it so that the chickens won't have the opportunity to scratch. We'll see when I can finish planting the garlic so that I can move on to shallots, onions, and leeks.
We did some calculations on our alum consumption this year and I think we eat about 300lbs of onions, about 100lbs to 15o of garlic, about 7lbs of shallots and about 10lbs of leeks. The shallots and leeks have low numbers mostly because we do not have ample access to these delicious cousins of the garlic and onion. We were going to grow a bunch to see if we do end up consuming more.

No comments:

Post a Comment