Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 5: Lil'Rosie

For the last 5 days I've been spending a lot of time with Lil'Rosie as she's not full up to speed on taking care of herself. We gave her the last shot of thiamine today and I put her with the other goats. I think the thiamine really throws her off. To recap, Sat and Sun my brother Steven came out to help pour some more concrete around the house. This was hampered by an altered Lil'Rosie that wanted to follow myself or Jed around everywhere we went. In the end, I just stayed with Lil'Rosie and let everyone else do the work since we couldn't do much with Lil'Rosie following us around and got in the way. She was also trying to eat dirt, which wasn't good, and was trying to step on the wet cement. On Sunday she seemed to get her appetite back and ate to her hearts content. She filled in and was drinking tons of water. She looked almost completely healthy and we decided to put her with the rest of the goats this morning.

I just went to go check on her during my lunch, which I've been doing since last Thurs, and she was staring off in a different direction not moving and not eating. She didn't seem to have eaten anything since that morning so I fed her some alfalfa by hand until she zoned out. She then sat down with some food hanging out of her mouth and stared off into space. Ramses led her over to the water where she drank. As I was leaving she realized I wasn't around and ended up trying to run to see where she could see me and to call out. I think this whole process is going to make Lil'Rosie that much more clingly and weary of when she's not feeling well. Although goats aren't swamp dragons, taking care of a sick goat can get tiring especially when you have to go and sleep with them out in the porch if they start freaking out. It has been an educational process and I look forward to learning more about goats, but at a calmer pace rather than a steep learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment