Friday, October 15, 2010

Tale from an eternal optimist

Lil'Rosie is still with us. Last night we fed her some oil and forced her to walk around with us. We also gave her some baking soda and water, as well as just plain water. We kept massaging her tummy and forcing her to walk. The physical stimulation helped and she would revive for a little, but we would have to keep forcing her to walk. Around 10 last night she was walking around on her own and stumbling around... but on her own. Through the night we would check on her and go massage her. She was still walking around. This morning we massaged and walked with her.. I gave her a little water. She had passed stool throughout the night... which didn't seem like a blocked bowel, but I'm new so I don't really know. I called the vet and let him know that she was walking around blind and somewhat drunk, but that she was passing stool. He said she was probably just passing what was on the other side of the obstruction. He also said the since we gave her oil she would probably get some in her lungs and die of pneumonia if she lived through this. He said the blindness sounded like thiamine deficiency and that if I really wanted to that he could prescribe some to me to see what happened. I said I would like that and at lunch I picked it up and brought it home. I gave her the first doze of 3ccs of thiamine, massaged her, walked her, gave her a little water, and then went back to work. She was already responding to my calls and was looking like if she was waking up a little more... I just got home to a goat that wants to go back with her brother, who is running around, and who is chewing cud. She's able to pass water and solids fine... although she is still a little bit disoriented she's doing a lot better. She's laying right next to me while I type this out in the front yard. The vet said she should improve by tomorrow afternoon. I can only hope that she won't catch pneumonia, and that she gets all better... I like Lil'Rosie... she's one tough little goat.

No comments:

Post a Comment