Thursday, September 30, 2010

Earth Works




During the rainy season last year we had a moderate flooding problem as the seasonal creek jumped its banks and swamped part of the yard. Granted the the rains of last winter where pretty epic at times, but I don't want to have that much of the back yard under water again. So as a solution I decided to rent an excavator (mini backhoe) and dig out the creek and enlarge the duck pond. Sam, Sam's Dad and myself worked from sun up to sun down to get done in one day. In the end we moved many tons of earth (no exaggeration) and got the creek cleared to about 3 feet wide X 2 feet deep. The new duck pond was a little bit of a learning process, the perspective from the cab of the excavator does not give you a good idea of the depth you are digging to. So the old duck pond was maybe 10 feet X 4 feet and 3 feet at the deepest. I was digging a much larger pond but nothing outrageous, or so I thought. I realized my mistake when I thought I had dug out a thigh to waist deep pond about 15 feet X 10 feet, to show me the size Rosie jumped into the pond I had dug and the depth was about to her shoulders around 5 feet deep. So the new EPIC POND is in the area of 25 feet X 15 feet X 5 feet deep. I hope the ducks and geese like it........

No comments:

Post a Comment