Sunday, September 26, 2010

Jammin!



As the berry season is ending we thought we'd try out some more jams. Jed has also seemed to go through all the blackberry, raspberry, and strawberry jams we had around the house so we thought we'd try out making jam with honey so that I could eat it as well. We ended up making a sample batch of honey strawberry jam and it turned out delicious! It has a slightly sweet tart flavor to it and its consistency is that of preserves more than of a hard jam or jelly. Since that was a big success and because I was able to go through two jars and two loaves of bread in two days I thought I'd make some more. Lisa also invited me over to her place and we ended up making grape and strawberry jelly. So far so good! And today I was able to make a batch of raspberry jam and another of strawberry jam. I still have another 3 batches on the way so that we might have enough jam to last us a year if not a bit longer than the first batch. I'll see if I can find any more blackberries in season or figs, and I just heard that blueberry jam was really, really tasty as well. We'll see what we'll mix up next.

Recipe for "sweet harvest jam" from honey.com

4 cups of fruit
2 cups of honey
1 packet of low sugar/or home made pectin
juice from 1 or 2 lemons

Smash fruit to consistency that you like. Add pectin and fruit to a pot that you can boil your jam in. Turn on heat and wait until it's a full rolling boil. After a minute of boiling then add honey and lemon juice. Bring back to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Then pour into prepared canning jars, put into hot bath and soft boil for 10 minutes. Take out of hot bath and let cool on window sill or appropriate surface. Ta-dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment