Friday, April 23, 2010

Bee update


My bees came in. =) I was so excited when I saw them last night that I forgot to bring my dinner in... and I kind of forgot to eat it until about 10pm.

I started thinking about the Warre hive yesterday and realized why I would have to set up two Langstroth hives to start off with. When you first get a package the queen shows up in a little compartment because she is not originally from that colony. In order to introduce the queen she has to be able to eat her way out and join the colony after they have gotten used to her scent. With the Warre hive there is no way I can squeeze the queen box between the slats, making it a wiser choice to start them off with a Langstroth. So last night, in between taking care of all of the animals, I went ahead and finished nailing all the frames that I have so that I can put the bees in there tonight. I hope I can put the fence boards in the ground so that I can finish putting up the fence. I would like to train the bees to fly high to get to their food so that they are not at eye level.

I tried out the smoker last night and it was cute. =) It worked and I look forward to having the bees in their home tonight. I also look forward to seeing them in my yard in the next few days. I'll look next week to see if they have started laying eggs and to make sure that they are worker bees she's laying. It's supposed to rain next Tuesday, so I hope she's able to breed before then. I did see some drones hanging around the back yard not too long ago, so we'll see if they are still around to help mate with the queen. Too bad I won't be able to find their little broken bodies after their sexual organs are broken off... Call me morbid, but I find that to be hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment