Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bees on the way

I have two colonies on the way and they should be here on the 21st. I'm looking forward to getting them so that I can put them in their new homes on the 22nd or the 23rd. I need to get them used to my area first and then put them into their supers. I have my smoker and queen excluders on the way. I'm going to make a couple more bases and possibly some medium supers as I only have the standard supers. I don't know how well they will do at first but I hope all the mustard and thistle will help them maintain. I hope to have the pond up and running by then so that they have a place to drink water from. I'll be building a fence around where I'll have the hives so that the will not be flying around at head level in the yard and so that they do not interfere with our play. I would hate to have our friends be unable to visit due to bees. I'm actually really excited and I look forward to a year of learning. Who knows, if things go well, we might even have some honey this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment