Thursday, April 8, 2010

Deranged Chicks

I got home last night pretty late as I met up with some PolyCon people to go over the SCA involvement for this next Con. When I got home I was able to feed the animals and milk Big Goat. I came in to feed the baby chicks and found that they were out of food and water. I find this a little frustrating because I try to make sure that when I leave in the morning they have enough food and water at that time so that they will not go hungry or thirsty at any point of the day. Well, besides eating and drinking all their food and water I found the low chick on the totem pole. The blue andalusian cock had all it's flight feathers picked off the top of his head opened up (didn't eat the comb so I guess that's a good thing), and had it's right ear eaten. So I'm going to have a partially deaf rooster which might be interesting. As soon as I spotted him I took him out of the batch of chicks and put him in the bathroom tub. I filled up the water containers and the feeders and the other chicks drank and ate to their hearts little content.

I cleaned up the open wounds on the little rooster (Little Brudder) on this wings and head. I applied betadine and wanted to see how the other chicks would interact with him. As soon as I put him in they all ganged up on him so I immediatly took him out before any of the others had a chance to do any more harm. I put him in his own container with wood chips in the bottom and more food and water than one little brudder could eat in a week. He's eating and drinking on his own. He was lonely for a while but I hope he'll heal up quickly. I checked on all of them this morning and they are fine. The others have not found a new pell, so I hope they don't gang up on anyone else.

I guess I should say that they are not really at the baby chick stage any more. They have gone through their leper baby stage and have most of their feathers. I'll keep posting on the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment