Thursday, April 29, 2010

I'm covered in Bees!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo

For those Eddie Izzard fans.. =)

Well the beekeeping is fantastic!! I'm not really covered in bees, they just kind of fly around and some of them land on me and crawl around before they realize that I'm not interesting.

The two packaged bee colonies are going strong. I'll get to check on the comb this weekend. Yahoo! I had two minor swarms that I picked up from different people and I think they merged to form a slightly stronger colony. I'll see what type I end up with; one was an italian and the other looked like russians. I just picked up another swarm today that looked like some more italians but this swarm was big! The two packages were 3lbs of bees were pretty big, but this colony was even bigger, more like a basketball size. They were fabulous! They rolled right into their new box and started fixing it up. It was nice to see them working so hard. I'll have to keep an eye on them because I could totally see them needing another deep sometime soon. Any subsequent boxes I was going to see about having tbh slats rather than the beeswax frames. They look too flimsy and I like the bees being able to decide what they would like to do.

We have a pretty strong wind today, but the little fence that I made for my bees has made it pretty calm in that area. The wind gets in, but they were able to not be thrashed around.

After I check on them this weekend I probably won't bother them again until another 2 weeks out. =) I'll keep you all posted.

Oh, and I'm getting a swarm for a local nursery store owner that is super nice. I'm going to have to start finding other people who want to keep bees so that I can give them some of the swarms.

No comments:

Post a Comment