Monday, April 12, 2010

The death of Lil' Brudder and the future of the Chicks


Yup, that's pretty much about it. I found him on the floor and he was very weak. He had been eating and drinking, but the wounds were probably just too much. He died shortly after.

I think the males in the box are starting to fly up to the top of the box and perch on the edge. I think this is the only way I'm able to differentiate between the males and females.

I found the Dorking that beat up Lil' Brudder. She was trying to rip the feathers off the wing of a smaller blue andalusian pullet. I took her outside and put her in with the grown chickens. She was out there for one day. I found her on the second morning when I went to feed the chickens. I heard the peeping of a still young chicken and followed the sound through the tall grass until I found her. She wasn't feeling so cocky any more. I put her back in with the rest of the babies and she ended up behaving.

I think we're about ready to put them out in a make shift coop for them. We might split off the old coop to accommodate the goats and the baby chicks. As soon as the rain slows down for a few days I was going to see if I could work on the Bee Fence and the Chicky coop. It should be this Friday or this weekend. =) I have a bee class I'm going to on Sat so we'll see how much I can do then.

Here is a pic of Calvin getting stuck under the door trying to get to the baby chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment