Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cheese: Cow vs. Goat milk

I found some renet at the local Food4Less and thus picked up some to try out. I've made two batches of feta cheese, one with goat milk and one with cow milk. The goat milk had a higher percentage of cheese/milk ratio (1/2 lb per 1/2 gallon of milk) while the cow milk gave me about 1/8th cheese per 1/2 gallon. The goat milk was crumbly and yet moist. I must say that the brine I put it in made it a bit difficult to eat just straight, we had to rinse it off with water before eating. The cow feta was very dry and hard, it did drain and we put it in olive oil so that's a different flavor, but the cheese bothers me as it does not have the standard texture. I'll have to try out some different cheeses with both types of milk to see which I'll prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment